Thursday 16 August 2012

Jade Varden

Author of: Deck of Lies: Book 1: Justice



Book blurb:

A House of Cards…

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day.

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I’m ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they’re hiding.

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can’t stop until I’ve discovered them all. I’ll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what’s underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet.

I just hope I can survive the crash.

As an introduction, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I live in Kentucky and I'm completely obsessed with watching my Kentucky Wildcats basketball. My favorite color is green (my name means green), and even when I'm not writing I'm still sitting in front of my laptop playing games and looking around on the Internet.

What is your book about?

It's about a girl who discovers her entire life is a lie. But it turns out that her new life is filled with even more secrets and deception than the old one.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing short stories when I was around 11 because I loved books so much. Some of my earliest writing was horror stories.

What genre do you prefer to write in?

Young adult, the first genre I started reading.

What is your biggest writing achievement to date?

I think my biggest achievement in writing was the first day I started typing on my grandmother's old electric typewriter. If that had never happened, I wouldn't be writing now.

What inspired you to write this book?

I think I got the idea when I started watching "Switched at Birth," the TV show. It's about two girls who were, as you can guess, switched at birth. It got me to thinking about how it would feel to be taken out of one family and put in another, which isn't exactly what's happening in that TV series but it's where the initial idea started.

Who is your favourite author, and what is it about their work that strikes a chord with you?

That's hard to answer. I feel like my favorite writer is the one I'm reading right now. It constantly changes. Each writer has their own voice and something unique to offer. Lately I've been on a bit of a Mary Higgins Clark kick. She's great at creating fascinating characters.

What book are you reading now, and would you recommend it?

I've been slowly working on The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, one of my old favorites. I would definitely recommend it to any YA reader of any age.

What are your current projects?

I'm working on finishing the Deck of Lies series, and then I have several more projects I'll be publishing.

Where and when do you do most of your writing?

I write every night, all night long. I like it when it's quiet and the phone's not ringing so I can totally focus on what I'm doing.

What would you say was the hardest part of writing your book?

Choosing a cover! I'm not at all artistic so I don't have much of an eye for those sorts of things.

Who designed your book cover – and was the cover something you deemed important?

An up-and-coming local graphic designer is doing all the Deck of Lies covers. She gave me several different options for Justice and they were all so good I had trouble making up my mind. I think the cover is one of the most important elements of any book, because it's the first thing the reader sees.

Did you try to go down the route of traditional publishing first – or did you feel that self-publishing was right for you from the beginning?

 knew I was going to self-publishing from the beginning. In traditional book publishing, the author waits for up to a year from the time of finishing the book to seeing it in print. I didn't want my readers to have to wait for a year between each book of the series, because they don't take that long to read.

On the whole, how have you found self-publishing?

I like having control over every aspect of the book, especially the pricing. Publishers sometimes charge way too much for books, even Kindle editions.

Where can we buy the book?

Justice is available at Amazon's Kindle store. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Justice-Deck-of-Lies-ebook/dp/B006PW51F6/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Do you have a website or blog where we can keep tabs on you?

I have both! You'll find my blog under the "Extras" tab on my official site: http://www.wix.com/jadevarden/jv

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Edit, edit and then edit some more.

And, finally, do you have anything else that you’d like to say to everyone?

Keep reading! Whether it's an age-old classic, a thick educational text or a lighthearted fiction novel, every book has something to teach us

No comments:

Post a Comment