Thursday 9 August 2012

Kathleen Steed

Book title: Capitol Terror



Book blurb:

Alice, a police detective, and her partner Thomas investigate a murder by decapitation in a small Maryland town within 20 miles of Washington D.C. Homeland Security agent Gary Bromely, pretending to be with the FBI, confiscates their evidence. It turns out the murder is part of a plot by Islamic extremists to attack Washington D.C. This murder is only the first. Alice and her boyfriend Raymond are almost killed. Thomas, who has joined Homeland Security, works with Gary Bromley and others to find and stop the extremists before a second attack can take place.

The trail of Hamid Faiz the leader of the extremists starts in Washington D.C. and continues through New York City and Terrebonne, Canada. Will the Homeland Security agents be able to catch him in time? Or will Alice, Raymond and the rest of America come under an attack from terrorists again?

As an introduction, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Medical Technology from the University of Maryland. Today 1-5-2012 is the 36th anniversary of the first day I had a real job. I started working as a medical technologist on 1-5-1976 in the Microbiology laboratory of the University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland USA.

What is your book about?

Capitol Terror is about the Washington D.C. area as a prime target of attack by Islamic extremists; how the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other agencies work together to keep America safe and how certain people's lives are affected by the event.

When and why did you begin writing?

I wrote some in school. I remember one story I wrote that my brothers and sisters really liked when we were all children. As you grow up the demands of society pressure you to be a grown up with a successful job, a husband and a family. Time is short for other pastimes. Then your children grow up and you have free time. That is what happened to me. I love words and how people use them. The idea of an attack on Washington D.C. was on my mind as I live in the Washington D.C. area. The story grew in my head until I had to write it down.

What genre do you prefer to write in?

Fiction, action plus a little romance. Mix in a little humor and a lot of suspense.

What is your biggest writing achievement to date?

Finishing and self-publishing Capitol Terror.

What inspired you to write this book?

As I mentioned I live in the Washington D.C. area. I was at work on 911 and watched the towers fall on a TV in a conference room with other employees. The idea of a repeat attack was on my mind and the story that became Capitol Terror grew in my head until I had to write it down.

Who is your favorite author, and what is it about their work that strikes a chord with you?

Robert Ludlum. He always had a good plot and strong characters. The good guys are really good and right is on their side.

What book are you reading now, and would you recommend it?

I am currently reading a sci-fi book called Little Women - Young Moon. It is very well written story about earth in the future and environmental catastrophe. H. S. St. Ours is the author and yes I definitely recommend it.

What are your current projects?

I'm about half way done with a second novel. It is a detective story introducing a character called Collin Carter.

Where and when do you do most of your writing?

I have a desk In an office my husband shares. My Jack Russell Terriers lay on the floor (with a soft blanket) near my feet.

What would you say was the hardest part of writing your book?

I have a propensity to Capitalize words when I shouldn't.

Who designed your book cover – and was the cover something you deemed important?

The cover is very important. It is a synopsis of the theme of the book. Christine Ticali illustrated my cover.

Did you try to go down the route of traditional publishing first – or did you feel that self-publishing was right for you from the beginning?

I tried traditional publishing first. I got about 30 rejection notices. That was a couple of years ago. When I read an article in my local newspaper about self-publishing I looked into it. The version of the book that I self-published is leaner in content and edited for spelling, capitalization and typos. I have to agree that it was a bit rough at the time I was submitting it to literary agents.

On the whole, how have you found self-publishing?

An interesting experience. I especially enjoy the author forums where all kinds of questions are answered and advice given.

Where can we buy the book?

US and other countries without a Kindle store: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061GJOG8

England: http://www.amazon.uk/dp/B0061GJOG8

Germany: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0061GJOG8

Italy: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B0061GJOG8

Spain: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B0061GJOG8

Do you have a website or blog where we can keep tabs on you?

My blog is on Goodreads.com

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Get started. It feels wonderful to finish a whole book.

And, finally, do you have anything else that you’d like to say to everyone?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment